About Me

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 11: Heartfelt Unplanned Ramble

   





So excited to be part of "Slice of Life" with the Two Writing Teachers. You to can join us too.


Helping Others

      Sometimes in life you are grateful for everything you have because you watch others truly in need.  This wasn't the post I was going to write tonight.  I was going to write a school reflection.  I tucked that away in my writer's notebook for another night.

     When I got home there was a sticky note on the table that there was a message on the answering machine for me.  Listening to the message, I realized it was a mother of a boy in my son's class.  I called her back and left a message and went on with my evening. At dinner we joked with my son I joked with him about why she was calling.  See this mom is at school everyday for her own son.  So she sees my son everyday and I thought maybe she was going to let me know he had been in trouble at school.

     Little did I know that she was calling me because someone else had approached our PTA about raising some money for their family to help with some medical bills.  I'm not going to go into all the details here because I don't want to invade their privacy for my post. This young man faces such challenges and he does so with a smile everyday.  He has touched my family in such a way, my husband has been brought to tears on more than one occasion, listening to a speech this young man gave and watching his mother attend to her sons needs like it was second nature always jovially.  She is uncomfortable with being part, because she doesn't want to people to think that she is looking for a handout.  Her family has been hit hard by a lack of insurance for the eight surgeries that her son needs this year.  EIGHT SURGERIES!!  8!! Ocho!! Many of which the insurance will not cover.

      So, not only is this mom worried about her son, she is also worried about her house and keeping roof over the families head and feeding everyone.  I think we can dig a little deeper in our pockets and help.  I have vowed to help.  If that means flipping pancakes, washing cars, selling candy bars, just about anything I could do to help.  I will, why because my heart hurts for the hardship this family faces and for the love and generosity they show others.

     If you met them at the mall,  you would notice her son who faces challenges.  He would engage you in conversation.  She makes you feel like you've met a good friend. Some find her over the top, I give her permission to be over the top.  This family needs help and I want to b involved.

1 comment:

  1. Some people get permission to be over the top and when you have to hold your child through 1 surgery let alone EIGHT, you get a pass to be as kooky as you need to be. It sounds like your friend is holding her own and that she is part of a pretty wonderful community that includes you!

    ReplyDelete